Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Authored by Peter:
Thursday.
I arrived around 10:30 and brought Momu "Here Comes Trouble" signed by Michael Moore. I brought Poppa an authentic Yankee cap from the 1998 World Series win. Thanksgiving dinner was actually quite good and since it was planned that Christine and Christopher were also going to visit the sun room opposite the nurses' station was reserved for "the Krasnows". Poppa picked at his food, Momu ate well including Poppa's stuffing and cranberry sauce (you'll hear that story a few thousand times I'm sure) and old fat me cleaned my plate. We then sat in the patio for almost an hour in the hot sun, then it was back to the room for naps; not me but almost. She asked for her pocket book again saying I need things in there. I left early around 4 to drive partially in the remaining light of the day. Nothing was opened in Pittsfield, except a Dunkin' Donuts so that was dinner.

Friday.
I arrived around 10:30 with pocket books without much in them. It was then Momu said I need my check book to buy things and take cash out of the bank. I asked why and she didn't really know but doesn't like anyone in charge of her finances...again and again and again. We ate lunch with Doc and Stephan. I learned Doc has a daughter living 15 minutes from Meadowbrook with her husband. She is a pediatrician and he is a sport orthopedist. We sat in the sun patio for a very short time since they were tired and wanted to nap. I watched a little TV with them and then decided, OK, I'll take them to Antonio's for dinner. I first stopped at CVS for hair color kits and hearing aide batteries and the liquor store nearby for beer. Dinner was good as we split one meal (all of us) and each had soup. Momu had TWO Martinis so I knew she would sleep well that night. I dropped them off around 6:30 and headed back to Pittsfield.

Saturday.
I filled up the car and waited for Miller's Art Supplies to open at 9 am. I bought "odorless" turpentine and a new pallet with a few brushes so Momu has no excuse but to start painting again. I arrived at Meadowbrook around 10:25 hoping they were up and ready for Bingo at 10:45...they were fast asleep. I got Betty their aide to get them up, washed and dressed but it was no where in time for Bingo...so next time. I saw they hold it one afternoon during the week so perhaps that will work for them. I ate lunch with them and their two boy friends again and the food at Meadowbrook is quite tasty. I guess it's time for me to move in.
After lunch went back to her room and I took Poppa out the front to sit in the sun...it lasted just ten minutes when he said he needed to go back to the room since he was tired, again.
I left around 2:30 to drive back to NYC in the light of day.

Finally, Momu is in good spirits although she told her friend Renee on the phone while I was present they are going home soon to be with Kitty and will buy Poppa a toy bulldog. She is convinced of this although she recognizes Poppa's extreme decline during the past month or so. The pictures make him look quite attentive and happy but I'm sure other than being with Momu anything of interest in life remains. It's getter harder and harder for me to see him like this and I'm amazed that Erica and Dan are visiting almost daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment