Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Where do I begin... it was only me tonight (Dan bowls on Wed nights).  I wasn't going to go, got out of my PT appt and was feeling good but stiff, but once I got home, I decided to get in the car and go to MB - I needed gas and the gas station is right there, so what the heck.

I arrived at 5:30 - Momu and Popa were in the dining room.  Popa, as usual, looked surprised and happy to see me.  Momu immediately told me there was an incident w/Popa during dinner.  I decided to let them finish their meal and I waited in the lobby on the couch.  I was talking with the receptionist Dorothy - she thinks they are the cutest couple and even she thought they were moving into a double room this week.  So it is clear the entire facility understands the significant desire for them to be in the same living quarters.

Momu came out of the dining room about 15 minutes later - I gave her pistachios and she was happy as a clam and went right to them.  She then went back to the one story she has been telling me 3-4 times during my past 3 visits (about Townsend Harris school, how the school started, how Popa took the entrance test, which was very hard, etc.).  I truly think this story is triggered by her also telling me every time lately that she used to be married to a brilliant man and he has completely lost it.  I then told her I read an article about how we all come 'full circle' and that most people go back to infancy stage in their later years.  She was surprised to hear this and I think she liked hearing it - i.e. Popa is not alone in his behavior.  She said 'life was funny sometimes'.  I told her that was the understatement of the year.  She laughed.  I also asked if she had regular appointments with the MB Social Workers.  She said no, she only met them one time.  I then said, well, that is only based on what you remember, she again laughed and said I was right, so maybe she is meeting with them regularly - if not, she needs to if that is an option.  She asked me for her credit card - same old reason, I again changed the subject.

Then she told me  that Popa said some inappropriate things to one of the guys at their table during dinner (the doctor guy, don't know his name).  She proceeded to tell me she could not eat in the dining room anymore because of Popa's behavior and they would have to eat in their rooms. I wasn't there and can't provide specifics, but have put this together based on what Momu said and also what the Doctor said when he came out of the dining room - so the story may go something like this....

Popa may have been coughing, the doctor said something - I think to offer him something, Popa said something back like "go fuck yourself'.  Then, based on what the doctor told me - I believe the doctor made a 'jew' comment because the doctor told me he did say something to the fact that he could tell Popa was jewish by the way he said his inappropriate comment.  The doctor said he was angry and lashed out.  He told me understood Popa's condition and he told me the guys worked it out in the dining room.  Momu was listening to what the doctor was saying and I think felt better that the doctor forgave Popa and agreed to not have tables changed.  Popa came out and they talked and Popa said he was sorry and I had to tell him he said some inappropriate things - he did not remember, but his face told me he felt bad.

The doctor left, said no hard feelings.  I sat with Momu and Popa in the lobby for about another 15 minutes.  Popa was silent, Momu was telling me all kinds of stories from her childhood.  Then we went upstairs.  The both got into Momu's bed.  Popa then said to her "I love you even if you behave badly'. I told Momu she needed to tell him the same thing and she did.  They are soooo looking forward to being in the same room.

I took their Chinese Food order - Dan and I will be eating with them tomorrow night at MB.  Gee, guess what they want - no surprise here - won ton soup, spare ribs, egg roll (only for Momu) and General Tsao Chicken.  I also told the nurse that we would be bringing dinner.

I really felt like Momu's therapist today but all in a good way - it was actually a very nice visit and I will have them out of their room as much as possible in the future.  Left at 6:40


No comments:

Post a Comment