Monday, October 10, 2011

Monday, October 10, 2011

Samantha here....

I went over for my last trip to visit them before I go back to school in the morning. Momu was sitting in the chair starring at her dinner while Popa already ate most of his meal and was lying in bed. I brought them a slice of challah to eat. Momu told me they fed Popa a good meal and she got crap. He got a meatball sub and she got dumplings and rice. She asked for something else so the nurse went and called the kitchen. It would take a little while for her new meal.

We brought over an apple pie yesterday that we never got to. So today I asked popa if he wanted some apple pie. He said wheres the ice cream. I said you want ice cream? He said with the apple pie of course. So popa had a big piece of apple pie and a whole cup of ice cream! Momu then started to get up and I asked where she was going. She said she was going to her room to lay down. I said her food will be here shortly and she said when they finally come back tell them to "shove it". She was upset that Popa got a good meal and she didn't like hers and that it was taking a long time for her food to come.


Popa finished his pie and ice cream and then said "this was breakfast right?" I said no it was dinner. He asked what time is it? I said 5:45pm. He then said "oh boy I'm fucked up". He then went to lay down and so I thought I'd say my goodbyes before they'd both fall asleep. Popa said he wants me back "sooner than later"!!

Momu requested a slice of pizza from Erica and Dan. she wants all the "stuff on it". They will bring that tomorrow.

Erica's addition:  I am not sure if Momu's being upset 'about the food' was truly about the food versus her continued delusion about making their basement a home for a college student to pay them rent and be a 24/7 Nurse to Popa.  I am sure I will here more tomorrow when I visit. But will stay on plan.

For anyone calling or planning a visit, please stick to the below message, which is based on advise from the Social Worker:

  • Mom, I know you are sad about leaving the home;
  • You took care of Dad as long as you could;
  • Caring for him made you sick;
  • There are not adequate funds for you to hire enough help at home; and
  • You will need to stay at Meadowbrook for the care that both you and Dad need.
Because Momu is forgetful, she will ask these questions over and over.  This is typical and sometimes can go on for a very long time.  Gentle validation of her feelings and reinforcement of the actual plan is generally the best tactic.

No comments:

Post a Comment